New ratios for services in ACT, NSW, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia and Victoria
Improved educator to child ratios started on 1 January 2016 in all states and territories, except Tasmania and Western Australia where they were already in place. Improved educator to child ratios are a key factor in delivering quality education and care and brings national consistency to this important area of the National Quality Framework (NQF).
Information sheets are available to download:
New educator to child ratios for education and care services
Meeting new educator to child ratios for education and care services
Affected age groups, services and jurisdictions
- New ratios apply for children older than 24 months and younger than 36 months at centre-based services in NSW, Queensland and South Australia.
- New ratios apply for children older than 36 months up to and including preschool age for all centre-based services in Queensland and Victoria.
- New ratios apply for preschools in ACT, Northern Territory and South Australia.
- New ratios apply for family day care services in Queensland.
- The educator to child ratios are already in place in Tasmania and Western Australia and therefore no changes are required.
Please click the map to view full NQF ratio requirements.