Bribie Island Community Kindergarten (BICK) has been re-awarded the Excellent rating
Date first awarded: 13 February 2014
Date re-awarded: 24 April 2023
Valid until: 23 April 2026
Bribie Island Community Kindergarten (BICK) has been re-awarded the Excellent rating by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA), the highest rating a service can achieve under the National Quality Framework. This is the first service to be awarded the Excellent rating for the fourth time.
The Moreton Bay based service was recognised for its:
- collaborative partnerships with professional, community or research organisations
- commitment to children that respects, reflects and celebrates culture and diversity, including place of origin
- positive workplace culture and organisational values, sustained commitment to professional development and support of educators
- practice and environments that enhance children’s learning and growth.
Examples of exceptional practice at the service include:
- Completing stage three of the Joondooburri Walk Action Research Project. This included receiving a second Indigenous Languages Grant from the Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships (DATSIP). Through its collaborative partnership with local Elders and local primary and high school students who attended a weekly Youth Advocacy group run by the Pumistone Indigenous Education Employment Centre (PIEEC), BICK used the grant to:
- Create a second sign in the Gabi Gabi language and featuring the artwork of a traditional owner, which was installed on the Joondoburri Walk. The design process included a previous BICK family member, who is a graphic artist, capturing the ideas for the sign and printing off a rough depiction. BICK took the proposed artwork to PIEEC for feedback, where a local Elder identified the sky and local birds had not been represented. The artwork was modified, and BICK acknowledges artist Aunty Melinda Serico was provided with ideas yet had autonomy with the artwork.
- Publish ‘The Joondoburri Walk’ book. BICK was contacted by DATSIP regarding increased funding to undertake more project work. BICK revised their application and included a proposal for funding to publish ‘The Joondoburri Walk’, a book comprising First Nations historical knowledge and the related artwork of children and students from across the Bribie Island community regarding 28 plants species in the local area. The book was launched in January 2023, at the third annual ‘Changing the Narrative’ community event. 95 of the first 100 books printed were gifted to various local and interstate early learning services and local organisations such as the Bribie Island Library. The remaining five books were gifted to PIEEC, who set a price of $25, from which they will totally benefit. BICK referenced they are passing on 100% profit of future book sales to PIEEC.
- Utilising the various skills and experiences of its volunteers to support children’s understandings regarding inclusion and diverse perspectives. This includes:
- A local resident who lives on a boat asked the service about volunteering to support maintenance of the community garden. To support children’s relationship building with and understandings of Bob, volunteer Nanna Sue who delivers a weekly authors and illustrators’ program, worked alongside children and educators to write a book for Bob titled, ‘Bob the Pirate gets a Green Thumb’. BICK had the book self-published and provided Bob and their family members with copies. BICK references the book and children’s interactions with Bob in the community garden have supported its children to have natural conversations with Bob about the life of an amputee and how they have adapted to having a disability. The book ‘Bob the Pirate gets a Green Thumb’ was gifted to every child at the end of 2020. Additionally, BICK referenced the book was shared by Bob’s carer at a recent meeting with a National Disability Insurance (NDIS) provider. The provider has contacted BICK to share they are exploring ways to promote the book as a motivational resource for adults who experience disability, and for what is achievable.
- BICK continues to provide a strong community focus through weekly community outings and service fundraising events. This includes:
- In 2021, local organisation Busy Fingers Fundraising Incorporation (BFFI) supported BICK to purchase a tribe bike for local outings. In response, the local State Member of Parliament, Ms Ali King, donated new helmets for educators and children. BICK acknowledges the electric, motorised bike benefits any of its children who may have a disability or inability to walk certain distances when out and about and that all children get to experience the tribe bike through ongoing turn taking.
- During a recent visit to Churches of Christ Bribie Island Aged Care (CCBIAC) facility, which BICK has maintained visits with over the past ten years, residents and staff expressed the facility having its own tribe bike could support increased community engagement by residents. In response, BICK is working with its family committee, local Rotary club and BFFI to source opportunities to raise funds towards purchasing a tribe bike for CCBIAC. BICK has committed to donating the proceedings of its 2023 market day towards the funds.
As a leader in the early childhood profession, BICK shares its practice through local Community of Practice and network groups, TAFE learning materials, and through tailored service and Joondoburri Walk tours and professional discussions. As such, BICK has ensured its positive impact has reached beyond the service, providing responsive guidance to early childhood students, emerging early childhood leaders and emerging local Elders, and services embarking on their journey of Reconciliation.
About the Excellent rating
Services that receive ‘Exceeding National Quality Standard’ in all seven quality areas can apply to ACECQA for the Excellent rating. The Excellent rating is awarded for three years. After this time services have the option to re-apply.
More information is available on our About the Excellent rating page.