Jescott Montessori Preschool has been re-awarded the Excellent rating
Date first awarded: 06/05/2016
Date re-awarded: 18/04/2019
Valid until: 17/04/2022
Jescott Montessori Preschool has been re-awarded the Excellent rating by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA), the highest rating a service can achieve under the National Quality Framework.
The Adelaide based service was recognised for its inclusive partnerships with children and families, practice and environments that enhance children’s learning and growth; and positive workplace culture and organisational values, sustained commitment to professional development and support of educators.
Examples of exceptional practice at the service include:
- Undertaking Positive Psychology Training to support educator and reduce anxiety around the annual staff review process. In response, the review format has changed to include educators completing a strengths report profile. This is used by service management and staff to identify leadership areas, roles and opportunities.
- The service reference supporting its local school community through year twelve high school students conducting research projects with the children. Children broaden their understandings of what research is, how they can take part in it and the various ways it can be conducted while interacting with community members. Educators are encouraged to upskill through incentives such as a scholarship program and study buddy group. This includes the service funding fifty percent of the Montessori Diploma Early Childhood fee and facilitating study groups that support collaboration with educators from fellow South Australia (SA) Montessori services.
- The service has a hardship scholarship where families experiencing financial stress or difficult circumstances access free sessions or free playgroup tuition. After the loss of a family member, a family was financially supported to continue accessing the playgroup and to experience continuity of care from service staff.
- To assist family understandings and education regarding Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STEAM) program usage in local primary schools, the service introduced a “Full STEAM ahead” project. This included creating an experiment resource guide to support families to conduct STEAM experiences with their children at home. The service also provided families with a STEAM DVD as a means to celebrate children’s STEAM learning and showcase examples of STEAM practices at the service.
- The service repositioned the mud play area within its sustainable sensory garden based on child need. This included moving the area to a corner to support individual and small group play and noise reduction. Children and families were consulted on the importance of accessing intimate play spaces to support self-regulation and emotional wellbeing.
As a leader in the sector, Jescott Montessori Preschool has developed professional learning modules and delivered presentations for local and interstate conferences and services. Mentoring international Masters of Teaching students from the University of South Australia before commencing practicum supports pre-service teaching experiences within an Australian early childhood setting.
About the Excellent rating
Services that receive ‘Exceeding National Quality Standard’ in all seven quality areas can apply for the Excellent rating. The Excellent rating is awarded for three years. After this time services have the option to re-apply.
Leave a comment