Bubup Wilam Aboriginal Child and Family Centre Inc has been awarded the Excellent rating
Date awarded: 9 November 2023
Valid until: 8 November 2028
Bubup Wilam Aboriginal Child and Family Centre Inc. Has been awarded the Excellent rating by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA), the highest rating a service can achieve under the National Quality Framework.
The Melbourne-based service, which is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation, was recognised for its
- collaborative partnerships with professional, community or research organisations,
- commitment to children that respects, reflects and celebrates culture and diversity, including place of origin,
- inclusive partnerships with children and families,
- positive workplace culture and organisational values, sustained commitment to professional development and support of educators,
- practice and environments that enhance children’s learning and growth.
Examples of exceptional practice at the service include:
- The Bubup Wilam Early Years Curriculum Framework (BWEYCF) which is specific to the Bubup Wilam community and written to support the service on its journey to achieving its vision: ‘Children who are proud and have a strong Aboriginal identity for lifelong learning and wellbeing’. The curriculum sits alongside The Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) and Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) bringing a rich and culturally strong approach to the children’s learning and outcomes.
- The Bubup Wilam Health and Wellbeing Program (HWP) funded by the organisation, employs a team of allied health professionals and an Aboriginal General Practitioner (GP) demonstrating its strong commitment to prevention, early intervention and positive participation. The HWP includes regular screening and services in areas of speech pathology, occupational therapy, social and emotional wellbeing and consultation with an infant and child mental health counsellor. The HWP staff work closely with families, educators and the leadership team, ensuring holistic approaches to supporting children’s education, health and wellbeing outcomes.
- The Possum Skin project supporting children’s strong sense of identity and belonging. The children transitioning to school are gifted with a possum skin pelt that includes a collaboratively developed pictorial representation of the child’s identity and learning journey at Bubup Wilam. The artwork is professionally burned onto the skin pelt by an Aboriginal artist/parent. Families can continue to build on this pelt over their child’s life if they choose, creating a possum skin cloak. The service plans to extend the project to create a possum skin pelt for every child each year, beginning with the youngest children.
As a leader in the sector, Bubup Wilam is committed to improving outcomes of children and families and proactively partners with key services, schools, organisations, and professionals from their community and beyond. Bubup Wilam shares its practice and learnings with local schools and other education and care services, helping to ensure their holistic approaches to education, health and wellbeing reaches beyond the children and families who access their service.
About the Excellent rating
Services that receive ‘Exceeding National Quality Standard’ in all seven quality areas can apply to ACECQA for the Excellent rating. From 1 July 2023, the Excellent rating is awarded for five years. After this time services have the option to re-apply.