Darlington Children’s Centre for Early Childhood Development and Parenting has been awarded the Excellent rating
Date Awarded: 9 March 2018
Valid until: 8 March 2021
Darlington Children’s Centre for Early Childhood Development and Parenting has been awarded the Excellent rating by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA), the highest rating a service can achieve under the National Quality Framework.
Services that receive an overall rating of ‘Exceeding National Quality Standard’ can apply for the Excellent rating. The Excellent rating is awarded for up to three years. After this time services have the option to re-apply.
The Seacombe Gardens-based service was recognised for its collaborative partnerships with professional, community and research organisations, as well as a commitment to children that respects, reflects and celebrates culture and diversity, including place of origin, and practice and environments that enhance children’s learning and growth.
Examples of exceptional practice at the service include:
- ‘Circle of Security Program’ (COSP), which is facilitated by Relationships South Australia (SA) and Child and Families Health Services (CAFHS) developmental screenings. COSP has been part of the service’s programs for a number of years now, and is a positive way to support families through a strengths-based approach. The program provides families with knowledge, skills and capabilities in parenting practices.
- ‘Yarnin’ Time’ playgroup, which the service organises and hosts to promote community connections, enabling ongoing community support for children and families. The service initiated the playgroup to meet the needs of the local area and to make further connections in the community. ‘Yarnin’ Time’ is also an opportunity for other services to be integrated.
- Programs are provided at a low cost or no cost basis: The service ensures that no child is excluded from the preschool program due to its cost. The service also offers breakfast programs for families experiencing financial hardships through its ‘Foodbank’ membership which provides fresh fruit and food packs.
- The service provides targeted and specialist programs for children who may require additional support. The variety of services available to the families, through Darlington Children’s Centre as a ‘Hub’, allow for the specific needs of families to be met. The service often has children and families attend the service in an emergency care situation. These families are then able to access, and be supported by, all the aspects of the service.
- The service aims for families to experience a seamless, wraparound approach that meets families’ needs and is applied consistently. Families who may need additional support are well connected and have identified services or programs available.
As a leader in the sector, Darlington Children’s Centre for Early Childhood Development and Parenting is represented and an active member on a range of boards, committees and professional learning groups, as well as on the local Department of Education and Child Development (DECD) Partnership improvement processes. Darlington Children’s Centre for Early Childhood Development and Parenting’s representation is at a local, state and international level. The service has supported a parent to gain their ‘Circle of Security’.
About the Excellent rating
Services that receive an overall rating of ‘Exceeding National Quality Standard’ can apply for the Excellent rating. The Excellent rating is awarded for three years. After this time services have the option to re-apply.
More information is available on the ACECQA website.