Migration skills assessment
Assessment of qualifications and employment experience for migration purposes
The Skills Assessment is for migration purposes only and is a separate application process to ACECQA’s qualification assessment under the National Quality Framework (NQF). The qualification assessment process under the NQF is for applicants wanting to have their qualifications approved to allow them to work in regulated early childhood education and care services in Australia.
ACECQA is the approved Assessing Authority for the following occupations:
- Child Care Centre Manager
- Child Care Worker (Group Leaders only).
A Migration Skills Assessment is for applicants applying for a skilled migration visa for an occupation listed on the:
- Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
- Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)
- Regional Occupation List (ROL) or
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) ROL List.
All current lists are available on the Home Affairs website.
It is a paper based assessment of your qualification/s and employment experience to determine comparability with Australian standards for a skilled worker in your nominated occupation.
If you require both a Skills Assessment and Qualifications Assessment under the NQF you do not need to submit two separate applications. You will just need to submit a skills assessment application and ACECQA will automatically complete both assessments.
Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
ACECQA also completes Provisional Skills Assessments for the Child Care Centre Manager occupation. This is for the purposes of the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) only.
You are eligible to apply for a Skills Assessment if your nominated occupation is:
- listed on the Skilled Occupations List on the Department of Home Affairs website with ACECQA as the relevant skills assessing authority
- relevant to your qualification
- relevant to your employment.
ACECQA does not complete skills assessments for the Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teacher occupation. Please contact AITSL if you require a skills assessment for this occupation.
You must check with Home Affairs before submitting your application to ensure your visa pathway requires a skills assessment.
ACECQA assesses applications against the assessment standards set out in the below documents:
- Assessment Standards for Child Care Centre Manager Occupation
- Assessment Standards for Child Care Worker (group leaders only) Occupation.
If you are concerned that you may not satisfy these standards, you can seek general advice about the application process and assessment standards before lodging your application. Please call 1300 422 327 or email the Qualifications Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACECQA is unable to answer questions or provide advice on migration, visa or points requirements, these questions must be directed to the Department of Home Affairs.
Applying for a Skills Assessment
Have your employers/referees complete the Employment Reference Template
Complete your Applicant Employment Experience Template
Download and complete the Skills Assessment Application Form
Provide certified colour copies of requested documents
Submit your application form and certified documents to email@example.com (please note ACECQA will be accepting applications from 16 November 2019)
The supporting evidence required as part of your application will depend on whether you already hold an ACECQA approved diploma level (or higher) qualification or need your qualifications assessed under the NQF as part of your Skills Assessment.
You will be asked to provide certified colour copies of the following documentation:
- A valid passport (identity page only)
- Evidence of change of name (if applicable)
- Evidence you hold an ACECQA nationally approved diploma (or higher level) qualification (if applicable)
- Official certificate/parchment for your qualification/s
- Final academic transcript for your qualification/s (all pages)
- Employer Reference Templates for all employment experience you are claiming
- Employment Experience Templates for all employment experience you are claiming
- Applicant Declaration and Consent Form
- Authorised Representative Declaration and Consent Form (if applicable)
- Evidence of English language proficiency (only for applicants who do not currently hold an NQF approved qualification).
Any documents in a language other than English will need to be translated. Certified colour copies of both the original and translated documents will need to be provided.
ACECQA will email you within 10 working days once your application has been received. We are committed to completing your assessment within 60 days from receiving all the information we require. If your application is missing information or documents, then the application process will be delayed.
Giving false or misleading information is a serious offence. ACECQA conducts thorough checking of submitted documents and will notify the relevant Australian Government Department and law enforcement agency where it has reason to believe that false or misleading information is provided.
After an assessment
We will notify you of the outcome of your application by email. If successful, you will receive a certificate by mail. If unsuccessful, you will receive reasons for the decision.
If your application is successful, you will be able to contact the Department of Home Affairs to complete the relevant visa application process.
If you have additional evidence or believe that evidence provided with your application has not adequately been considered you can request a review of your Skills Assessment.