The ACECQA Board is accountable to the Education Council. The Board provides advice and reports to the Education Council through the Australian Education Senior Officials Committee (AESOC).
The Education Council is one of eight Standing Councils established under Council of Australian Governments (COAG) arrangements. Membership of the Education Council includes State, Territory, Australian Government and New Zealand Ministers with portfolio responsibilities in school education, early childhood development and/or youth affairs.
The Education Council provides a forum through which strategic policy on school education and early childhood development can be coordinated at the national level, and through which, information can be shared and resources used collaboratively toward the achievement of agreed objectives and priorities.
Under the Education and Care Services National Law, the Education Council has the following functions:
- to oversee the implementation and administration of the National Quality Framework (NQF)
- to promote uniformity in the application and enforcement of the NQF
- to review and approve the National Quality Standard and set specific standards for education and care services and classes of education and care services
- to review and approve the rating level system to be used in rating education and care services
- to review and approve the fee structure under the National Law
- to review and approve new learning frameworks for the purposes of the National Law
- to monitor the implementation and operation of, and recommend or approve amendments to, the National Law
- to monitor the implementation and operation of the national regulations
- to review the education and care services to which the National Law applies and recommend, or amend the national regulations to provide for, the inclusion of new classes of education and care services under the National Law
- to appoint the members of the Board
- to monitor and review the performance of ACECQA
- any other functions given to the Ministerial Council by or under the National Law.
More information is available on the Education Council website.