Woy Woy PS Guliyali Preschool has been awarded the Excellent rating
Date Awarded: 21 April 2021
Valid until: 20 April 2024
Woy Woy PS Guliyali Preschool (WWPSGP) has been awarded the Excellent rating by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA), the highest rating a service can achieve under the National Quality Framework.
The NSW Central Coast based service was recognised for its:
- collaborative partnerships with professional, community or research organisations
- positive workplace culture and organisational values, sustained commitment to professional development and support of educators
- practice and environments that enhance children’s learning and growth.
Examples of exceptional practice at the service include:
- In partnership with the Mingaletta Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation, the service has implemented a weekly Mingaletta Aunties program to strengthen the learning, development and cultural connections of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and their families. The Mingaletta Elders read cultural books, share Dreamtime stories and conduct cultural creative art learning experiences including weaving, painting, foraging and yarning with WWPSGP children. This program has helped connect families with their culture, as they interact and form relationships with the Mingaletta Elders.
- After a local retirement village resident offered to volunteer at WWPSGP, the service responded and created the Ageless Play Program. Each week, children learn the importance of companionship and an awareness of differences in abilities. At the same time, the residents feel a reduced sense of isolation associated with aging and feel better connected to their wider community.
- WWPSGP is professional partners with a university to implement a research-based program within its service. As part of the social work qualification, university students may complete their professional experience placements within WWPSGP. The service’s leadership team works with the university students to identify and implement a range of targeted early intervention strategies and provide a range of supports for children and their families. Support is offered to children and families having concerns with their social, emotional and behavioural development.
- WWPSGP educators share their knowledge about play-based learning with Woy Woy Public School teachers. The service has been instrumental in implementing play-based learning experiences in the Kindergarten to Year 2 curriculum. This supports the service’s children transitioning to school as they are familiar with the play-based learning pedagogy and expectations.
- WWPSGP has implemented the school’s evidence-based program focused on improving children’s behaviours through positive expectations and reinforcement. The service tailored the program’s goals to ensure it aligned with its service philosophy and context and the children’s specific needs while also continuing to meet the requirements of the National Quality Framework. The service has weekly visits from a therapy dog to support children in developing interpersonal and social skills while also fostering their mental health. Through the regular collection of quantitative data, the service has sustained a learning environment that supports children in developing social competence and self-regulation.
- To support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children to access vital health services and community-supported transition to school, WWPSGP continues to fund the Young Black and Ready for School Program. This program is available and tailored to the needs of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and their families living in the local municipality. Children receive health examinations, a school uniform, a school backpack and other essential resources to start school successfully. The families receive ongoing support while transitioning from the service to formal schooling and feel a sense of belonging to the support network composed of individuals with similar heritages and the Mingaletta community Elders.
As a leader in the sector, Woy Woy PS Guliyali Preschool is committed to leading the broader children’s education and care sector, and contributing to improved practices of educators, high quality programs and resources beyond the service.
About the Excellent rating
Services that receive ‘Exceeding National Quality Standard’ in all seven quality areas can apply to ACECQA for the Excellent rating. The Excellent rating is awarded for three years. After this time services have the option to re-apply.
Leave a comment